Tottenham are set to be approached by Iranian-American billionaire Jahm Najafi over a potential multi-billion takeover.
In recent weeks, there has been interest in possible investment at the club, with Paris Saint-Germain owners Qatar Sports Investment said to be interested in buying a minority stake at Spurs.
However, one group is reportedly keen to complete a full takeover of the club.
According to the Financial Times, Najafi is preparing a bid of around £3.1billion for the north London side.
Najafi is the chairman of sport investment company MSP Sports Capital, and is working with a consortium to form a bid.
They are ‘weeks away’ from making a formal approach to current owner Joe Lewis and chairman Daniel Levy.
Such an offer would value the equity of the club at around £2.5bn, and £600m worth of debt would be added.
MSP would propose 70 per cent of the club’s purchase price, with the remaining 30 per cent coming mainly from support in Abu Dhabi
Amid the news, former Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordan believes the interest is significant for the club.
Speaking on White and Jordan, he told talkSPORT: “This is a long way from anything that is going to move past significant initial discussions, and again it’s a deal that’s going to be structured with private equity and funding.
“It’s not going to be philanthropic, it’s not going to be a nation state dropping in and saying ‘we just don’t care, we’re going to spend money for how we feel like, we’re going to set the heather on fire’.
“But it is a significant situation for Tottenham. Of course Tottenham fans will light on it ‘anyone but Levy.'”
He added: “At £3bn? Bite their arm off at the shoulder, absolutely.
“Depends how much debt they’re going to take and it depends how much the stadium plays into this and what the whole shape of the deal is. But if Lewis gets to walk away and Daniel [Levy] gets to walk away with £3bn, I should imagine they’ll sprint.”
Leave a Reply